Home  //   About  //   Life  //   Homeschool  //   Recipes  //   Places to Play in PA  

Friday, August 16, 2013

Almost 2 Weeks TV Free

Its one thing to say you are thinking about getting rid of your tv and another thing altogether to actually make the steps to get rid of it. We spent a lot of time praying about and talking about it as a family. Today while on a hike we asked the kids if they liked this family time better than tv time and they all piped up hiking time.... Until my 7 year old said, although I kind of like tv time too, but I don't miss it. And I think that sues it up for all of us. We all like hiking or whatever it is we have been doing more of together over tv. We don't miss tv. We honestly don't miss it at all. At night we have been spending lots more family time together whether reading books, bike rides, walks, puzzles, etc. nothing new, just more time to do it and to do it together. My husband and I have been reading more, talking more together, and if we really get the hankering to watch something, we might watch a five minute clip of something on YouTube. But it's more of a once a week thing now too. So, we have gone without for two weeks and about a week into our trial, my husband made the decision to call and have cable turned off. Now that it's gone, Netflix and Hulu are next. I really feel like in hindsight I can say that a lot of times we just watched things because there was a sense of well, I paid for it, so I'd better get my money's worth out of it. Which is kind of silly. I think in the weeks to come we might box up a few movies to keep and sell everything else from the tv to the play station to the entertainment center. My husband shared that we don't have cable anymore with a co-worker whose kids are in daycare all day and he said, "that's crazy! My kids love to watch it in the morning before they leave and then they watch it at night when they're tired." I don't know why he thinks we're crazy... He's the one who loses pretty much all skittle time he has with his kids to the tv. I also recently stumbled onto this verse in my reading and it prompted me to do a follow up post on our tv-less life: Psalm 101:2-5 I will conduct the affairs of my house     with a blameless heart. 3 I will not look with approval     on anything that is vile. I hate what faithless people do;     I will have no part in it. 4 The perverse of heart shall be far from me;     I will have nothing to do with what is evil. 5 Whoever slanders their neighbor in secret,     I will put to silence; whoever has haughty eyes and a proud heart,     I will not tolerate. Obviously we can say that there isn't much on tv today that isn't vile or just plain unneccessary. I mean honestly, I would say at least 90% of what people watch is fluff and maybe bad fluff at that. So now our challenge is verse 5 and avoiding getting a proud heart. Just because we feel God working on our lives in this way doesn't mean we should get all high and mighty about it. If anything it's by Gods grace that he chose to place it on hearts to reclaim valuable family time and couple time back. That's all it is. We sought Him out on this when we felt led to look into it and pray about it and He was gracious to guide and lead us. We aren't saints for doing this... Still sinners saved by grace being challenged to be more like Christ. And with that be said my husband just mentioned that it's time for us to read a book that we've been enjoying together in the evenings on Godly parenting, so night all!

No comments:

LinkWithin