Home  //   About  //   Life  //   Homeschool  //   Recipes  //   Places to Play in PA  

Saturday, August 11, 2012

Goodbye Microwave

We have recently being making steps towards eating more naturally and whole. Def. much less processed foods and making gradual changes. Its frankly too expensive to change everything overnight and it is a huge learning process. We started with dropping sugar and dyes out of our diet. Even some things that claim to be natural or organic, will still contain these two ingredients. You must really read labels-- but the best thing is to buy things hat don't even have labels. We try to eat as much produce as possible, natural grains, and grass fed meat. We get our yogurt and now heavy whipping cream at a local dairy and have been trying to make baked goods ourselves at home.

Now, confession, my husband still likes his ice cream-- haven't started making that ourselves and I still like chips. We are just buying better choices in our areas of weakness, not living like saints.

I have been reading what I can and have come across some things that suggested doing without a microwave. My favorite thing to microwave-- popcorn. But pop-corn has such little nutritional value, that its not necessary. Also, the other obvious use was re-heating food and sometimes steaming veggies in there. I talked it over with my husband, and said lets just try it for a month and see how we do. So we moved the microwave to the basement....... and I haven't really missed it.

Not only is it healthier, it's saving us electric, and it's freeing up much needed space in my tiny kitchen.



Here is our old microwave cart and now it is our extra space and kitchen aid cart. Yay!

So, how do we heat leftovers? Great question-- today I had some leftover pasta and I got out a little skillet, added some water, and dumped my pasta in. It heated fairly quickly and much more evenly and tasted lots better, almost like it had been made fresh-- again! Wasn't sticky or unevenly heated like the microwave used to cook it.




Here is our raw honey being heated this morning for breakfast-- I simply filled a measuring cup with hot tap water and placed the honey inside-- perfectly liquified honey in just minutes.

So, be encouraged, take some small steps towards better living and eating-- it might be easier then you think!

1 comment:

Becky said...

I forgot to provide you the links about microwave dangers : http://www.unhinderedliving.com/microwave.html and http://bodyecology.com/articles/microwave_dangers.php and http://www.herbalhealer.com/microwave.html

LinkWithin