Home  //   About  //   Life  //   Homeschool  //   Recipes  //   Places to Play in PA  

Friday, June 14, 2013

Quinoa Vegetarian Chili-- Very Yummy!!

This chili was amazingly good-- seriously, my husband declared it the best chili we've ever eaten AND there was no meat in it! I used to use ground boca in my chili, but then I realized that its all soy and had a lot of icky stuff, I decided to swap in quinoa. Its a new family favorite, super easy to cook, and tends to absorb the taste of the spices its in. It is also a wonderful source of protein. For garnish, some organic cheese and chips on the side (and if your my son, heaps of sour cream) ------------------------------------- You will need: 1 large bell pepper chopped. 1/4 cup of diced onion. 3 tbs of minced garlic. chili seasoning (I had a packet from my sisters shower, but some cumin, chili powder, and red pepper flakes should get the job done). 2 tbs of olive oil. 1 8 oz can of tomato paste. 1 can of diced tomatos with peppers. 1 can of black beans. 1 can of kidney beans. 1 handful of fresh spinach chopped up. 2 cups of water. PLUS, for the quinoa, one cup of quinoa and 2 cups of water. Saute pepper, onion, and garlic in olive oil. Turn heat down and add tomato products, beans drained and rinsed, spinach, water, and spices. 15 minutes before you are about to eat, cook quinoa. Add water and quinoa into pot. Cook covered for about 8-10 minutes and then uncover and stir frequently the last few minutes. When it looks like little tails have come off the quinoa, its done. Add into chili and stir. Then spoon into bowls, garnish with cheese, and eat with some chips on the side! Enjoy!

1 comment:

angie said...

I've long had a box of quinoa in my pantry. This is the inspiration I needed--thank you!

LinkWithin