Home  //   About  //   Life  //   Homeschool  //   Recipes  //   Places to Play in PA  

Thursday, March 7, 2013

Homemade Foaming Hand Soap

Previously I shared how we make our own laundry detergent-- all dry ingredients to better help the function of your washer and we still love it and I am hoping to get a nice big batch made again before baby #4 arrives :)http://bsharks26.blogspot.com/2013/01/homemade-laundry-detergent.html Today I made some homemade hand soap after finding a similar recipe on pinterest and then tweaking it a bit and making it more refined I guess you could say. All you need is one bar of natural soap (I went with Toms of Maine as they're pretty easy to find), 1 tbs of glycerin (this is also great to have on hand to make big batches of bubbles for the summer), and 8 cups ow water. Grate the bar soap right into a pot, add water and glycerin, and then cook on medium heat stirring slowly until soap pieces are broken down. It will be watery. Thats okay. Allow to cool and pour into a container. Since I knew we would be making some soap at some point, I saved our orange juice container from aldis and all of the soap fit in there perfectly! 59 fl oz. of hand soap that is natural and gentle on the skin for about 3 dollars (which is less than the big refills bottles of softsoap which I find to be very abrasive on our skin-- especially inthe winter!). Im also glad I went with the Lavendar Toms as it smelled so nice and well, relaxing, as it cooked up. Happy Soap making friends!

3 comments:

Becky said...

I know I call this foaming hand soap, but it is more like regular hand soap as I have come to realize after using it for a bit! It still smells so good!

angie said...

I use a very small amount of liquid soap refill and water to refill the foaming hand soap dispensers. Would I be able to put this homemade mixture into a foaming bottle?

Becky said...

Angie, I found it to really thicken up, but maybe if you added more cups of water to the mix it would be foaming? I think the moisturizing bars of soap that i used might also make it thicken more, but it smells so good :)

LinkWithin